The first 10 days

Kona Transport delivering my personal possessions
Kona Transport delivering my personal possessions

I’ve now been in my new home for 10 days, and I’m feeling pretty good about the whole thing, Hurricane Ana notwithstanding. Yes, we experienced a hurricane this weekend, but it’s path veered leeward and the Big Island didn’t get more than wind and lots of rain. Where I am really only got rain, and we weren’t bothered by wind or damage to property.

Let’s go back a bit, shall we? This was the week that I started working remotely and it was… challenging. Nothing to do with my move, other than trying to catch up on everything that happened last week. My employer had been acquired as of mid-September, and last weekend was when the people and technology were moved into the new company. That created some technical difficulties that had to be sorted out and worked out. Some of them still aren’t fixed, but we’ll have to deal. Thankfully, some of those issues will die a natural death when we switch over completely to the new company’s systems in another 2-3 weeks, but until then I need to hustle to keep up. My work hours are running approximately 6 a.m. HST – 3 p.m. HST, brief break for a swim to bring down my body temp (sometimes this occurs as early as 1 p.m.) and then back online for an hour or two. I haven’t really established a “life” here, so it’s not like I have a ton of social engagements to take me away from the work. Also, it’s a huge relief to not spend 1.5 – 2 hours commuting on a daily basis, and I can put those hours into work without being completely exhausted. Thursdays are brutal, as I have to be up at 3:40 a.m. or so for a 4 a.m. conference call and my day still goes until about 3 p.m.

One thing I do need to get to work on is regular exercise, and the other is eating clean. I used to have regular walking dates twice a week with girlfriends, and a weekly visit to my trainer (miss you Cyndi!). I don’t have that here, and since I start work so early, I don’t have the opportunity to go for a walk before it gets hots in the morning. As for the food thing, I had a routine of food that I would buy at Trader Joe’s and Fresh and Easy. Since those stores don’t exist here, I have to adjust my shopping and determine what the replacements will be. I’ve had some junk recently that I generally don’t indulge in, but I’ve made an effort to include salads, fruits and veggies. The strawberry papaya and avocado that I had for lunch on Friday were so good! Oh, and I’m eating more “meals” due to the weird hours: my breakfast shake at 6 a.m., second breakfast between 9 and 10 a.m., lunch around 1 p.m. and dinner about 6 p.m. As long as I can keep the meals small, I should be okay with that schedule.

I had dinner with an existing friend on Tuesday night, which was fantastic as I hadn’t been able to see him when I was out here in August. Catching up with him, sitting on the balcony at Humpy’s, listening to the pub trivia and enjoying a very tasty “True Hawaiian pizza” with kalua pork, garlic and pineapple was a fun experience. I may try going back for the trivia night, I used to be pretty good at that sort of thing. On Thursday night I made a new friend, introduced to me by Julie, when the three of us met for Happy Hour at Sam Choy’s. A note about Happy Hour: I’ve been told that the hours have been changing at various places, shortening and ending earlier (i.e. 3:30 to 5 p.m. at Huggo’s ). Conjecture is that this is so that only the tourists can take advantage as the locals have jobs that don’t allow them to make the hours. I’m not sure if this is accurate, but I’m glad that I work from home, on mainland hours, so that I can go Kenichi Pacific for half-price sushi rolls! So, Thursday night at Sam Choy’s was we three women, and we had a great time. I love the marinated poke and the brie wonton. Ono grinds! We laughed, talked, shared and made future plans to get together. I am now going to a burlesque show at My Bar on November 8, which should be fantastic.

Hurricane Ana was still a Tropical Storm on Thursday and Friday, but I was rather nervous since I had no idea what to expect. I did buy two cases of water, a 10-pack of Longboard Lager and a 6 pack of toilet paper, plus assorted other food items. I figure I covered the most important stuff. πŸ™‚ I made it out to a new doctor appointment Friday morning, and got established with a nearby nurse practitioner. She’s lovely and I’ll probably see her for most of my care. The irritating thing is that the endocrinologist I will be referred to is based in Honolulu and I’ll likely have to fly there to see him for my new patient visit. He only visits Kona twice a month, and he doesn’t have an opening here until February. *sigh* Definite downside to a small island. Early Friday evening, a handful of us were at the pool and it was great to start connecting with my neighbors as a resident. We all shuddered over the cockroaches and compared stories. It’s a good thing I’m not inclined toward pets, as I’ve learned that cats tend to catch and bring roaches into the house, and will drop them on your bed. While you are in it! The lanai chairs and umbrella were pulled in Friday evening, and I made sure that the louvers of the windows near my work desk were closed, as well as pulling the desk away from the windows and moving my laptops elsewhere. Stayed up entirely too late reading and listening to the rain, which started out sporadic and light, and continued throughout the night and into today, becoming fairly heavy at times. I don’t know why but I didn’t sleep well last night, after a week of sleeping wonderfully on the gel-foam mattress pad (absolutely worth the $170!). Maybe it was the heat, humidity or even the noise of the rain on the roof, something I’m not used to anymore. By late Friday night, we had word that Ana was officially a Hurricane but was veering more leeward and we could still expect a lot of rain and wind. I have since heard that further mauka (towards the mountain) was pretty windy as well as rainy, but makai (towards the ocean) we had mostly just rain.

Today was spent piddling about the house and reading some more. I do have a to-do list and I must work on it tomorrow since I lagged today. Having a rainy day made lazy curling up inside much more appealing, but I can only let myself do it for one day. Tomorrow is the start of a new week and I have lots to do, including backing up my phone so I can get a new one that has a better camera so I can take gorgeous sunset photos. I’ll be editing this post to add a photo from Friday afternoon, but I need to do that backup first to pull the photo from my phone. Stay tuned friends!


4 thoughts on “The first 10 days

  1. WHen Jeff and Delania lived up on the hill in Capt.Cook there,we had to have blankets and sweats on it got so cool up there.A trip into town was a rude lesson in hot,and when we traveled the road back up the hill to their house the cooling temps wrapped around us and we welcomed them. Hope you make it to Capt Cook, the Manago Hotel has wonderful very affordable meals, the grocery store there is my favorite, it’s a wonderful place, go there. Delania only moved a few miles up the road, but she has the most wonderful view and it is a bit cooler there than down your way. My favorite month there so far has been February, you are a brave lady will enjoy reading how you progress, look forward to giving you a hug next trip there.Aloha🌺

  2. Great post. Always look forward to your updates. πŸ™‚
    PS — oh heck yes you got the most important staples since you had to hunker down during the storm (i.e. beer, et al). πŸ™‚

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s